LinkedIn has been one of my favorite social and professional networking sites for years. Recently, they allowed 3rd party advertisers to generate video ads on the sidebar that autolaunch about 30-seconds after you sign in. The first time this startled me, I frantically scanned the page searching for something to click it closed only to find other video ads starting simultaneously!
Do you hate these irritating LinkedIn video ads as much as I do?
If so, the following post offers some solutions put the Zen back into your LinkedIn user experience.
Panic Button: Mute Your Sound
This one may seem obvious, but the quick fix to disturbing LinkedIn video ads is muting your sound.
Mac users have it made when it comes to this as the F10 key on most keyboards will do that for you instantly.
For Windows users, depending on which OS you use (XP, 7, 8 or hopefully not Vista) there are a number of ways to kill sound instantly. Some keyboards will have this functionality, you can right click on the speaker icon in your task bar or (in Windows 8) click WINKEY + I to access system settings and right click sound to mute.
Browser based solutions to muting LinkedIn video ads are also an option. This allows you to continue using sound in other applications, such as Skype, Zoom or iTunes while keeping those annoying ads from disturbing your video conference or music.
- Internet Explore (IE) – mute sound by right clicking on Volume icon, Open Volume Mixer (shows you all applications using sound) and selecting mute next IE
- Firefox – add an extension called “Muter” to your Firefox browser. This will put a button on the Firefox toolbar. Click it to mute all sound playing in Firefox tabs and then click it again to allow sounds (simple!).
- Chrome – add an extension called “Chrome Tool Box” to your Chrome browser. This will give you a host of tools to manage Chrome. It also adds a hotkey shortcut to mute all tabs on Chrome: Alt + W.
I learned these solutions from an article on Techlogon.com about disabling sounds in your browser (check out their site for other great info).
Change Your LinkedIn Ad Preferences
The less drastic approach to muting video ads on LinkedIn is changing your LinkedIn ad preferences. I have not tested this solution over time, so we will need to see if it works in the long run, but for now it has kept the ads at bay. You can always use your panic button (above) if preference changes fail.
To change your LinkedIn ad preferences do the following:
- Click on the profile icon in the upper right corner of your LinkedIn profile
- On the drop down click Privacy Settings
- Go to the bottom of the preferences page where it says “Account”
- The first item to the right will be “Managing Advertising Preference”
- Under “Protecting Your Personal Information” uncheck the two boxes (“LinkedIn may show me ads on third-party websites” and “LinkedIn may show me ads based on third-party data”)
- Save changes
This should prevent the ads from showing on your LinkedIn profile. At the very least it should reduce the number of video ads which are displayed via third-party websites. As I said above, this method is experimental. I’m interested to hear in the comments if it is working for people so let me know. If not, you can always use your panic button as described above.